Monday, August 24, 2009

What a weekend!

I had the amazing opportunity this past weekend to combine two of the biggest blessings of my life - my friends and advocating for orphans. About six months ago I became familiar with an organization called Children's Hope Chest which is a child advocacy organization working in Russia and Africa. Since getting to know their Senior Leadership team AND the amazing volunteers who serve with them I am hooked. The incredible work they do impacts the lives of so many children who are in desperate circumstances. In fact, I'm so hooked that I'm going to Uganda with them in just 2 weeks!

So, my friend Sarah and I decided to host a fundraiser for HopeChest Uganda. AND we got the amazing privilege of having our blogger friends Brandi from Florida and Lindsey from Oklahoma fly in to help us out! And oh my...did we have FUN!!



We sold hand made aprons...



We sold t-shirts that Lindsey's wonderful husband had made...



We sold Ugandan paper bead necklaces...





We sold Tom Davis's books...



All together we raised close to $2500 - awesome!



But what I loved the most (besides hanging out with these wonderful women) was seeing people's eyes opened to what is going on in Africa and how THEY can make a difference!

When they walked up to the front door they saw this...



And they read Margaret's story...



When they walked in the room they were met by amazing photos that were taken in Uganda by Ria hanging EVERYWHERE...





They read about the 5 things they can do to help the 50 million people living with AIDS...(you can too at www.5for50.com!)



It's amazing to me how hearing stories about these children makes the situation there so REAL. I can picture it, I can cry over it, I can be moved to ACT. I should not be paralyzed by the need but encouraged that it takes so little to do so much.

This weekend was more than I could have asked for. I was reminded again that God WANTS us to be involved in caring for His children who are in need and hurting. And it's not just the children who are transformed as we respond - we are too in the process. I think that's pretty amazing.

So, while the weekend may be over I know the changes God is making in my heart are not..the dreams that He's given me are real and I can't wait to watch them unfold.

5 comments:

  1. AMAZING WEEKEND!!!!! I am still recovering but can't help but smile, laugh, cry and be so grateful when I think of it. You girls are AMAZING. I love you all dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore you girls. . .I adore that our Lord Jesus would choose to bless us so abundantly even while using us to bless others. Truly we were met by the God of the universe in Cincy this weekend. I love you girls and am so proud to call you friends.

    Bran

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH for all of our hard work, good times and devotion with Jesus and each other. Love and miss you ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $2,500- - -that is awesome! Great job girls! So inspiring and my mind is racing with ideas of what our family can do to raise money for these children.

    Amy- - I will be praying for your trip to Uganda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, WOW!!! Way to go my Friend!!! It sounds like your event was a huge success and blessing for all involved. I would love to do something like that - AND I wish I could have gone to your event and met YOU.

    God is so good! I pray that He multiplies the funds in BIG ways!

    Sweet blessings & love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete