Friday, August 14, 2009

Neither Here Nor There

Honestly, I'm having a ton of thoughts lately. I'm not sure exactly how to put words to them. So, the odds are I won't very well. :) They have to do with my place in this world...my role in helping to bring God's kingdom to earth now and how overwhelming it feels on some days. And then on other days how amazed I am by God's love for me and humanity in general.

I'm finding rest in the fact that God just wants me to love Him. My first and foremost responsibility is to know Him and to love Him. Everything else flows out of that.

I'm trying to remind myself of that. The God of the Universe is head over heels in love with ME. How in the world did that happen??? I don't have to wonder about how it happened. I just have to soak it up and let if flow out.

I was looking at the sunset last night as I was driving home and started to think about all the people in the world who are under the same sky...courtesy of the God who loves them. What sort of Love leaves the comfort and splendor of heaven for the stuff of earth? A God of love, that's Who. I can't think of any other reason that would motivate that sort of sacrifice.

He loves me so...He loves you so. Wow...what does that mean for our lives? Does that motivate you to give everything for the One who gave everything for you? Doesn't life feel like more than just ourselves? Doesn't it feel at its core that it's about everyone else which ultimately leads to Him?

I know I need grace to live that out. Becoming others focused in a me focused world is not easy to do. There is SO stinking much of me in my life. But I can chip away at it until there's less of me and more of the One who created me and gave Himself for me. It doesn't feel fulfilling anymore to live for myself. I want to live for Him...wholly and completely. Does that require sacrifice and discomfort? Absolutely. But the return is more than I could ever have imagined.

Life is rich. It is full. Not by the world's standards, but by God's. What an adventure we are on! Every day... a new opportunity to love our Savior and others more. To chip away at ourselves until only He remains. I'm thinking THAT is life. To the fullest.

"But I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." - Philippians 3:12

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I could have written that. LOVE it, Girl! Amen. :-) Sunsets speak powerfully to me as well.

    BTW - THANK YOU for sharing with me David Crowder's song. I have Kim Walker's version, but am a big DC fan as well. I listened to him the whole two weeks we were in China. Sweet memories. Anyhow, I bought his copy and have spent the past couple of prayers face down on the ground in worship...just pouring my heart and tears out to the Lord. It has done my spirit so much good. Bless you, Friend! You are such a treasure to me.

    I'm humbled AND ecstatic to be walking on a path that parallels yours. God is SO good.

    Love and joy,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't give yourself enough credit in your writing. I believe your thoughts and feelings came out beautifully. You echo my heart perfectly in this post. God Bless You!!

    ReplyDelete