Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Disturbed?

I ran across this prayer that Sir Francis Drake wrote...

"Disturb us, Lord, when

We are too pleased with ourselves,

When our dreams have come true

Because we dreamed too little,

When we arrived safely

Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when

With the abundance of things we possess

We have lost our thirst

For the waters of life;

Having fallen in love with life,

We have ceased to dream of eternity

And in our efforts to build a new earth,

We have allowed our vision

Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,

We ask you to push back

The horizons of our hopes;

And to push back the future

In strength, courage, hope, and love.

This we ask in the name of our Captain,

Who is Jesus Christ."

AMEN!!!!  Here are just a few of my thoughts as I digest this...

  • I need to be DISTURBED!!
  • Although I feel like I dream big a lot of the time, I am NOT.  God's capacity and greatness is so far beyond me that my idea of big is a miniscule fleck in the grand scheme of things.  I want to be dreaming things that I could never fulfill on my own - things that God MUST show up to make happen!
  • I often arrive safely and miss out on the majesty of what God wants to show me. Why?  Because I am afraid of what waits for me and how I might have to count the cost.  Ridiculous!! I LONG to journey further out to experience all that God has for me!!
  • I do not want the abundance of my things to keep me from thirsting after God.  I want to cut it all loose and run hard after Him, the Living Water who will always be the  only One who can quench my thirst. 
  • Scripture says "God has set eternity in the hearts of men; yet we cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end". Although God has set eternity in my heart, I admit I often cease to dream of it.  I am so busy with life on this earth, that my vision for heaven does dim.  I choose to focus my eyes in places that hold false peace rather than on the One who is the true giver of peace.
  • Perhaps if I could fathom what God is doing I would indeed dare more boldly.  But when I can't see the big picture and how things fit together, I more often than not hesitate which simply leads to me sitting on my duff doing nothing.  Sometimes it seems my dares are only ever things I suspect I'll be able to work out on my own in the end.  What kind of a dare is that??  Certainly not a bold one and likely not a dare at all.  But doesn't "dare" in it's very meaning imply that we try something when we can't ensure what the outcome will be? Shouldn't that be the very nature of my faith? I'm thinking my view of God needs to be stretched - big time.  I need to more fully recognize the HUGENESS of His nature, His power and His love.  The relentless, consuming love that God has for me should lead me to run full speed ahead into what He has for me because I know that He will be there.  It must kill Him sometimes to look down at me being so afraid and unwilling to step out and actually risk something!!  He is everything I need and I miss out on GOOD things when I don't boldly dare.  
I think my favorite part of this prayer is the following:

To venture on wilder seas

Where storms will show Your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.

WOW.  The wild seas, the unknown...the storms, the difficult, painful and crazy stuff we go through in this life - those things show His mastery.  It is in those times when we feel least in control and most weak that God shows up.  He comes through.  He carries us.  He brings us out.  He works good out of awful circumstances.  He refines us.  He makes us look more like Him. He reveals His splendor.  Doesn't that sound better than trudging through life in perceived safety, rarely counting on God to show His faithfulness and mastery? 

If I never allow myself to lose sight of land I won't find the stars - at least, not the vast expanse of them in all of their glory.  If I continue to hold on to this earthly life I will miss out on how God wants to use me to bring His kingdom to earth.  But if I can just start paddling out further and further away from the land and the things that are known, the promise of finding God in deeper, more meaningful ways waits for me.  Which causes me to call out from the core of my being...

"Disturb ME, Oh God!"

12 comments:

  1. Sooo what I need to read right now! Preach it! Amen! Yes! Love the prayer, and love hearing your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always knew I was seriously disturbed! ;-)

    Great prayer! Sir Francis Drake prays ALMOST as eloquently as you.

    This reminds me of the book Dangerous Surrender by Rick Warren's wife (I forget her first name - I am awful with names). Anyway, in the book she talks about coming back from Africa being "gloriously ruined". We need to be willing to step out of our utopia of unreality and be disturbed, ruined, wrecked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy --Thank you for this prayer. I pray to be disturbed too. As I said before when we spoke our credit score it not what pleases God. I yearn for his will and want a CRAZY change. Love Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! Thank you friend!

    Disturbed! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post... hoping to be very disturbed in 2010... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks amy. an encouragement as always! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to thank you for the kind words that you wrote on my blog! Thanks again and I've added you to my blog list so that I can keep up with you.....

    I love your thoughtful and Christ centered blog entrees.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! An incredible post which is both convicting and encouraging. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Thanks for sharing that prayer. It gives me so much to ponder and pray through! I'm new to your blog and am loving it. Your thoughts resonate with me big-time. Can't wait to read more of what you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May he always disturb me! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Amy! Praying for you more this week...
    Karen

    ReplyDelete