Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I remember...

I'm back from Ethiopia...well, at least my body is back.  I'm quite sure I left most of my heart there.  I find myself immediately hit with the reality of my life here...work emails to catch up on, grocery runs to make, kids to spend time with, bills to pay, a calendar to manage.  But in the all the scurry and madness that marks our lives here in America, I remember. 

I remember the faces of children being fed more than one meal a day for the first time...



I remember the dirty dwellings falling apart that house people full of joy or in deepest pain...



I remember the garbage dump where people scavenge for food...



I remember the face of a handicapped girl playing soccer with one foot...



I remember the young girl raped and her son who held the dirty bottle that his grandma had found in the dump for him...



I remember the the face of the man who grew up scavenging in the dump, caring for the young orphaned boy who lives there now...


I remember that hope springs up in the most unlikely places...


I remember that I find my life when I'm willing to lose it for someone else. 



I have a lot to share about this last trip to Ethiopia.  A LOT.  But, I'm going to take my time.  I want to do justice to what I saw and experienced, so I'm going to slow down and allow myself time to process and then share my stories with you.  I can tell you that the past two weeks have been the most humbling weeks in my life.  I have seen what God looks like when He puts on skin and walks around loving people and it has stirred me in ways I didn't anticipate.  Can't wait to share more with you guys...thanks for being patient with me as I process.  Much, much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment